Friday, July 1, 2011

I live an exciting life.


June 30th
An unexpected
link to her past surfaces.
Poems are in her blood.


Hiya.

     It's been nice taking a break from blogging.  I know some of you still care to know what's been going on, so I'll catch you up.

     On Sunday, my friend Felix came over from Manchester and we hung out around Leeds and ate at that wonderful Thai restaurant I've mentioned before.  It was just as good the second time.  Earlier that day, I awoke to find someone entering my flat.  I usually wouldn't have found this odd as the building maintenance people come in Monday-Friday to take out our trash and on Fridays clean the bathroom/shower room, however, this was Sunday as I said and no one comes on Sundays!  I immediately dashed out of bed to find a friend who lives in a flat a few floors below mine stealing a chair from the kitchen.  After an awkward pause, she informed me that she had brought the chair up from her flat a few weeks ago and came to reclaim it.  She also informed me that her key works in my door...  This is a rather scary thought.  If hers works, how many other people have access to my flat?  There is no purpose in telling the main office because I know of friends this semester who had the same thing happen to them (oddly enough, it was the EXACT same thing, where someone else's key worked in their door and they were in there to take a kitchen chair...) and my friends went and told the office, but they ignored the situation completely.  As I've mentioned in the past, this is not the best of dorms at this university.  My friend recalling her chair asked me to join her and some people for lunch later on, so I did.

     Today I saw Bridesmaids at the Leeds Vue in the Light.  I love this theater!  It's odd how they actually have assigned seats, but overall, I think it is very well put together.  The whole system is.  When you buy your ticket, you wait in a queue and a cashier number is called out when it is free.  Everyone waits in one line, not multiple lines.  Behind the counter are screens with movie times and menus.  Each movie has detailed information: when it will start (there is actually a countdown time and it will tell you if the movie is already playing or not), how many available seats there are, etc.  It's a neat concept.  When you enter the theater, there are no "cheap seats" or "latecomer" seats as we have in our theaters (you know, those seats in the very front where you have to crane your neck up just to see the whole screen).  And, not only does it have stadium seating, but there is plenty of leg room.  The only fault I find with the screening room is that the doors are in the front of the room, so when latecomers do arrive, they distract you from the movie.  The solution is simple, the entrance should be at the rear of the room on the sides where there are walls/hallways guiding you to the front.  This way there is no light let in.  Madison's Star Cinema (AMC) does this.
     Anyway, it's a funny movie and one of the best parts is that it all is supposed to take place in Wisconsin!  Woohoo!  Milwaukee to be specific.
     Before the movie, I had a lovely time playing cards and hanging out with my friend Polly and her friend from Germany.  Polly taught me this awesome new card game (apparently it's a Turkish card game) and I taught them a few card tricks.

     My luggage will be shipped off in the morning and I will soon be living solely out of my duffle bag...again.  Home soon, but fun times still to come for me!

P.S., I'm pretty sure I'm related to the poet Andrew Marvell.  My cousin and I are doing research on our family and I'm fairly certain he grew up in the same town as some of my ancestors, so it stands to reason that he's one of them!  How cool!  If it be true, then this semester I've learned that I'm related to Andrew Marvell, I have Viking ancestors, and I'm a princess through the line of Constantine!  I live an exciting life.

2 comments: