Saturday, December 18, 2010

What I did on Study Day.

I am happy to say that I go to a wonderful church that loves blessing people.  Every semester during finals week, Blackhawk church has what is called "Study Day."  About 1,000 college students show up each semester.  The church has about 400 volunteers provide TONS of food, there is an open gym, Christmas movies playing in the food room, a games room, quiet study spaces, group study spaces, an optional worship service, a tutoring center--the whole thing lasts from 12PM-12AM and there are free yellow busses that run back and forth from campus to the church every half hour.  The Church's goal is to bless the college students taking finals and help de-stress them.  It is my favorite part of finals week (the rest of the week tends to kind of suck with the whole taking finals thing) and I am sorry to have to miss it next semester, but at least I will be in Leeds instead.

Okay, so my day began roughly (I will spare you the details), but when I finally got on the bus at 11:30AM, I was ready to begin a wonderful day of eating too much food and hanging out with friends.  I watched "Howl's Moving Castle" with Emily C. and played Battleship with her, got to hang out for a little while with Adrienne R., Mary C., Jill T. and Tim R., with a few cameo appearances from Max B. and others.  To all of you who I got to see on Study Day, thank you for making it a wonderful day.

I had to leave at 5:30PM in order to get to the place where I was babysitting, so I was not able to stay the entire time as I usually do (oh, and btw, I hardly ever study on Study Day, oops!).  Traffic was terrible and it seriously did take me from 5:30PM until 6:55PM (I had to babysit at 7:00PM) to:
-Make a quick run to Gamestop with my Mom (her idea, not mine)
-Get gas because the car was running below the "E"
-Drop my Mom off at home
-Drive from the West side of Madison to the East side to babysit
Amazingly I was not late!  Good thing I know back roads and didn't have to take the highway, which was at a full stop.  So, when I got to the house, the baby was sleeping and I got to hang out with one of the dogs, Roy, and watch cable.  It was a sweet night.

The point of this note overall is to say this:  although there are many tough decisions and circumstances (finals included) that we all experience during college, it is always easier and more enjoyable when we have friends to lean on.  I am happy to say that I have some pretty wonderful friends.  And by no means were all the wonderful people in my life mentioned in this post.  Don't think I've forgotten about the rest of you!  You all mean a lot to me and I hope we will still be able to hang out and talk after I return, especially those of you who are graduating!  Keep in touch!


 Emily C. and I after we claimed our favorite spot in the church downstairs.
 Howl's Moving Castle!
 Jill and Tim, engaged!
 Mary C. and Adrienne R. arrive.
 Some people still use Study Day to study. 

 I won!
 Upstairs at the church.
The church, still upstairs.
 West Side room at Blackhawk--food room.
 Dessert table.
 They played A Charlie Brown Christmas, Elf, and A Muppet Christmas Carol.
 Roy, the dog I played with while babysitting.
 More Roy.
 I watched Frosty the Snowman. 

 Snowflakes on my window.  How beautiful. 

Here are a few pictures from my 21st birthday with more amazing friends!  Below the MERIT gang: Laura E., Anna L., Michelle B., and Adam C.


 Mary C., Jo C., Emilie M., and Mary S.
Nichole C., Katie S., Yvonne F., and me! 
 Ha ha, oh Adam!  I love your facial expression!  Adam C. and Jo C.
 Me and Hattie S.
 Some of my Historical Society girls: Mary S., Allison P., and Nichole C.
Mine.  =)

3 comments:

  1. Megan: I enjoyed reading your post, as usual! I had tons of fun at study day with you, too! It's always a blast. I particularly liked the part at the end of your post where you wrote about friends- so true! I'm so lucky I can count you as one of my best friends! -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I was scrolling through the birthday photos saying "I better be on here! I'm going to be sad if I didn't get a photo!" And then there is one of us! Yay!
    Hattie

    ReplyDelete