Saturday, May 7, 2011

Honored.

Haiku-a-day:

May 4th
Eyes flicker across
computer screens as people
disconnect from life.

May 5th
The recognition
of a job well done is the
single best reward.

***Today's***

May 6th
People gather to
hear the result of first place.
Nervous silence falls.

I wrote my Museum studies essay, turned it in, and everything seems to be going smoothly.  At the last second I was given an extension (it's soooooo hard to get them here, the professors don't have permission to do it, only the main departments), but I ended up not using it because I figured getting it done would leave me more time to work on my English essay.  Much to go on that front.

Today's highlight: the short story competition.  Today was the big day to find out whether I won or not.  I took a couple of friends with me to Blackwell's Bookstore where the ceremony was being held.  The room at the back of the bookstore had about 16 chairs set up and a two-person couch in the far back.  At the front of the room was a small table.  The editors/judges were at the table.  When we entered they gave us red wine.  We took our seats in the second row.  There were only 2 other people there besides the 3 of us at this point (4:30 when it was supposed to start), so I didn't know what to expect.  Soon after, however, groups of people poured in.  Most of the people stood around the chairs at the edge of the room.  

The judges, once everyone was settled, gave a quick opening speech introducing themselves, how the judging process went for them, and how happy they were with the short stories.  I was absolutely thrilled when, in this speech, they highlighted 3 of their favorites that really stuck out to all of them as truly unique and amazing--of the 3, they mentioned my story "Finding Hope."  My smile was ear to ear at this point.  I was floating off the ground with joy practically.  After the short speech, the "guest" of the day, a local (campus) editor (full-time chap) gave a quick speech and then commenced the awards.  There were 10 finalists.  The first 6 that were called up were given a medium-sized book on literature (I looked through my friend Karl's and it looked like a very neat book, I would have liked one!) and a certificate.  I was called up next as 4th place.  That's right, I didn't win.  I probably would have mentioned it in the title if I had!  =)  As usual, I received splendid remarks from the "guest" editor, who was the one giving out the awards, about my name.  In front of the whole group he said that my name was "prize winning in and of itself" basically!  For me, they did not give me one of the medium-sized books like my friend Karl, but instead a massive book called The Writer's Handbook.  I am quite excited about it as it has many tips for various types/styles of writing and publication.  The first chapter is on writing children's books!!  Perfect for me!!  I also received a certificate.  

The winner of the grand prize (receiving the same book as mine, a certificate, £££, and publication of her short story in the Leeds paper (or something like that?)) was a woman who wrote about her Indian culture.  Sounded a bit "Slumdog Millionaire" to me, so I can see why it would have won.  I can't help it that I grew up in a safe neighborhood, next to the arboretum, in a decent school system.  I can't compete with slums.  Sorry my culture is not dangerous enough.  No hard feelings though.  I'm glad I placed high.

After the ceremony, I got to talk to one of the editors/judges.  His name is Harry and he told me my story was the first story he read.  He seemed thrilled to meet me and complimented me several times on it.  He told me he absolutely loved it, was amazed with the historical detail, and said that I set the bar quite high for the rest of the contestants.  That is one of the greatest honors I writer can receive.  It was one of the happiest points of my day when I was complimented by the judge of my story.  

4 comments:

  1. I think you did amazingly well placing 4th!!! The important thing to remember is that these people really liked your work! Congratulations!!!!! "See" you later today! So proud of you Megan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! "See" you soon! (Actually mom, you're 1 minute late for our skype date!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Megan! You're awesome! I want to read your short story! btw, when you publish your first book, can I have a signed copy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I'll send you my short story Em! And yes, you can definitely have a signed copy if I ever finally get published!

    ReplyDelete