Sunday, May 22, 2011

A little bit of everything (2).

Haiku-a-day:

May 22nd
The fickle sun plays
hide and seek, rain and shine, while
I fight to stay dry.

Oh England!  It was what some people would call a "typical" day here today.  I woke up with pouring rain; by the time I was ready and eating breakfast, it was sunny; when I started studying a bit this morning it was raining again; around noon when I decided to go to the grocery store, it was sunny.  Can you guess how the weather was on my walk back home?  Ultra windy and rainy.  Still cold for sure.  It makes me wonder how warm it gets during the summer here.

I have my last final on tuesday.  I'm getting slightly nervous.  It'll be 2 essays questions out of a choice of 24; given 30 minutes for each.  Topic: brewing.  As of right now I can tell you the history of making beer and wine from 10,000BC.  Yup.  However, there's much more that I need to study in order to be prepared for this final.  Basic ingredients: Barley, hops, water, yeast.  Different types of alcohol: ale -- beer without hops.  Lagger -- brewed at a lower temperature than normal beer (cloudier).  Red wine -- 2 ways of getting the juice out of the grapes: leaving them on the branches or taking them off.  White wine -- must add many more ingredients to this wine to stabilize the flavor; red is the better choice (esp. for health reasons).  Just a taste for you there.

Today marks an increase in spider activity: 2 spiders found within 5 minutes of each other in my room.  
Also, I have fixed my computer issues so you can view some of my photos from yesterday's trip.

P.S., yet ANOTHER friend got engaged today.  When I said "'tis the season," I wasn't kidding!  =P  On top of that, I discovered that an old friend (my age) got married about two weeks ago...

 A field along the long driveway up to Harewood House.
 This amazing kite got caught in a tree.  They released in within a half an hour.
 Kites!
 "Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the CAT jumped over the MAN..."

Harewood House.
 Statue in one of the gardens.
 Garden in the backyard.

 "Family Intervention."  And yes, they do have penguins as pets!
 My favorite bird in the bird garden.
End flight. 

2 comments:

  1. Do I know this old friend who got married?
    Harewood House looks really cool. Too bad I couldn't have seen more of England when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you do. Lacy Carpenter, now Loudon.

    I think you need to go back to England. You didn't get to see anything! Had we had time, I would have taken you to York, Harrogate, Windermere, Haworth, and London.

    ReplyDelete