Saturday, January 22, 2011

Brotherton and beyond.


Haiku-a-day:

Jan 22nd
Library book hunts
through Brotherton Library
make for confused brains!

Not much going on.  I was able to switch around my schedule so that my English and Museum classes wouldn't conflict.  Instead of taking Exploring Medieval Literature (more Chaucer!), I am taking Sensational Novels of the 1860s (I've never even heard of the novels I'll be reading...).  This is well and dandy, but it means that I have a lot of pre-reading to do by next Wednesday (first day of lecture for that class) that I haven't even started doing.  So, guess what I get to do tomorrow?!  

Beyond that, we've been taking it easy, exploring campus more, buying books, meeting new international students (lots of Canadians and Australians btw!), and, of course, eating!  

I realize that I haven't posted many pictures of Leeds itself on this blog, so here are a few to give you an idea.

 I just kept getting thirstier and thirstier! 2nd from the left is a normal sized bottle.
 We went to the pub at the end of our street (literally about 4 houses down) because it's supposed to be a good place to meet other international students.  It got crowded really fast.  Pictured here l-r: Roxanne, Katie, and Chelsea (all are in my UW-Madison group).
 Leah, Sara, Melissa, and myself at The Eldon.
 Roxanne and I decided to explore Leeds, so we took a walk to Hyde Park.  It usually doesn't get too cold here.  The coldest it got was this day when everything had a slight frost over it.  Very pretty.
 If you click on this picture, you can see better the very neat patterns the frost was making.
 Statue of Queen Elizabeth (?) in Hyde Park.
 Cute cottage at the edgeof the park.
 Leeds neighborhoods!
 A very pretty church at the other end of the park.
 Another church.  Also very cool.
 Me on the steps of the church.
 I loved the look of the frost-covered leaves.  Too cool!
 We toured Brotherton Library where the books for our English classes are supposed to reside.  They had very neat bags that say "Shhhhh..." on them!
 Main Hall in Brotherton Library.
 Roxanne behind the Great Hall.  (Yes, just like in Harry Potter.)
 Front of the Great Hall.
Inside the Great Hall.
 We explored the public library downtown.  Just as neat as the campus ones.
 More public library.
Found this at a bookstore downtown.  Almost bought it, but I'm still holding out to find it cheaper somewhere else.
 Leeds city center.
Shopping centers.  They go all out.

6 comments:

  1. My Haiku:

    Meg has gone to Leeds
    Classes, travel, adventure
    Thank goodness for Skype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Megan, the architecture is beautiful! Good luck with all your reading before your lectures start. Oh, and I love your haiku a day idea- very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I request a bag,
    one with SHH on the side and
    I'm jealous of you!

    ALSO - wouldn't buying all the Harry Potters in England be A) heavy and B) involve reading English spellings and what-not? (Actually, I think it's awesome, but I judge the British on their superfluous e's.) Leed's looks STUNNING.

    Hattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Thanks Hattie! I'm reconsidering buying the set. The picture was just of a set I found in the store and was considering, but that one costs £60 (~$100), so I might just buy the first book here (it's the only one I don't own at all). Thank you for your haikus! I love chatting in poetry!

    ReplyDelete