Monday, February 21, 2011

I love being a Creative Writing major.

Haiku-a-day:


Feb 21st
I live, breathe, and dream
creative writing. Thank you
God it’s my major!

     Today I wrote a short story.  It is unedited as of right now, so the title is currently Finding Hope.  I wrote it for a short story competition for Leeds's Culture Week.  The winner will receive £50 (~$80).  I would LOVE to win.  =)  The story is about a little girl who is sent from her home in London, England to live in America (Madison, Wisconsin) with her aunt Hope during WWII.  The little girl, Allegra, is quite shy and doesn't speak to anyone.  Living with her aunt, Allegra is encased in a safe world of love and comfort, and eventually finds her voice.  It has a happy ending.  It sounds cheesy and it probably is overall, but if cheesy wins me the competition, then I'm totally fine with that!  The criteria of the competition is this, it must be a short story focusing on your culture.  Those are very vague and broad rules.  I'm not sure how many people are entering or what my chances are, but it would be quite lovely to win a short story competition in England. 
     In similar news, I have submitted poems to the UW-Madison's Lit Fest.  However, I know that they have a couple hundred submissions, so my chances there are slim.  And I believe I will submit some poems and maybe a few photos to the Journalism magazine's competition that ends today.  (I suppose I should get on that soon!)  'Tis the life of an English major, always trying to get published!  But the more I submit, the more I'm likely to get accepted.  Cross your fingers everyone!

     Also, just curious, how many of you actually like my "Haiku-a-day"?  (I mean in general, not just for today!)

4 comments:

  1. I love 'em! Doing one a day is a good discipline.

    BTW: I've had Turkish Delight and I think it's good!

    So glad you got the package yesterday--enjoy the late Valentine's Day gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I LOVE the haiku a day- it's so fun and I enjoy reading them. It really makes you condense your thoughts and pick the most important feelings/items to mention. Also, good luck with all of your literary submissions! I hope you win- that would be awesome! You said you were going to submit some things to the Journalism Magazine- is that the Journalism Magazine in Leeds or at Madison? I wasn't sure...Anyway, glad you had a wonderful time in Cambridge. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Longer adventure
    Inspired haiku a day
    More joy for readers

    Yes, I love your haiku a day-can you tell I was not a creative writing major?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mom!

    Emily, everything I submitted was in Madison except my short story which is for a contest here in Leeds.

    Jo Ann, I like your haiku!

    ReplyDelete