Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Valentine's Day dinner.


Haiku-a-day:

Feb 14th
Friends are what make life
livable, enjoyable
and worth enduring.


Since it is Valentine's Day and all, I have decided to put up extra poems.  Yay for you!  =)  And don't worry, for those of you who don't care about poetry, there is a real update of today's events after the poems, so feel free to just scroll down.


A Valentine
Love follows its own
twisting path through life to get
to true harmony.



(The following poem was written over a year ago, so bare with me.  I just thought it should see the light at some point!)
The Music Man

Dear sweet music man
please play a song for me for
I long to hear life

budding from eddies
across a deep blue sea like
passion raging me

onto new worlds of
adventure and freedom, though
softly staying course

to rhapsodies of
reality and fiction
sweetly balanced here

across dreams. Your sound
shall resonate forever
in my heart. Do play!


(Click here to listen to the song Clair de Lune while reading.)
The Rain Knows Clair de Lune

Oh beautiful rain
in the sunlight comes
blown on my window pane
by soft flourishes through sun’s
smiling, playful game
of get-wet-soon.
My heart is stunned tame
that the rain knows Clair de Lune.


Ok, now onto the real update!  =)
Today my flatmates and I made dinner together for the first time since living together in England!  I had the idea a little over a week ago that we should plan out a meal and spend some time together.  There ended up being 7 of us: (my 4 flatmates are listed first) Roxanne, Rachel, Vanessa, Chelsea, Leah, and Jess.  
We, as you should have already read, went grocery shopping yesterday to make enchiladas and more.  And, as you are also well aware, it was a painful journey back home.  However, after today, it was worth it!  This morning I was in the kitchen by about 11:00AM.  I washed all the dishes, vacuumed the kitchen floor, and wiped down the table and chairs.  I need to have things clean and in order to concentrate first.  By about noon, Roxanne had returned from a last-minute trip to the store to get the one ingredient we forgot yesterday (shortening -- for the pie crusts).  When she returned, the two of us set out to make our pies.  Roxanne made a raspberry-blackberry pie and I made my first homemade pie ever (apple).  It took me about 3 hours and 15 minutes to make which is longer than it should have taken, but our oven is a gas oven and is obviously quite old, so it refuses to work well.  It was also hard to guess at what setting I should turn the oven on to seeing as the main oven is set in marks such as: gas mark 4, gas mark 5, gas mark 6, etc.  I searched online to see if I could find a temperature converter.  I found 3 online sources and they all said something different, so I went with the site that had the lowest setting, gas mark 5 (just in case the higher ones burned the pie).  
Around 5ish, the rest of my flatmates and myself, along with Leah who came over early, began making the rest of the dinner.  Rachel made mashed potatoes and guacamole.  Leah made a salad with strawberries and pea pods.  Roxanne and I made the pies (obviously) and the enchiladas.  Vanessa bought wine and Chelsea helped us with the baking. 
Everything turned out superb.  Absolutely superb.  The food was delicious and the pies! absolutely stunning.  I love pie.  A lot.  I bought ice cream to go along with it, so dessert was complete!  Don't worry, you will get pictures!  
I am very happy that the 7 of us could hang out and spend Valentine's Day together.  Even though the majority of my day was spent in the kitchen and I hardly got any homework done whatsoever, it was a lot of fun and well worth it.  This was also the best meal I've had here that wasn't made in a restaurant, so I can also take pride in the fact that I made something myself that was good tasting and good (more or less) for me!  Best Valentine's Day so far!  ¡Feliz día de San Valentín!  

P1030612  Roxanne's pie in progress.  My pie...still to come!  Let the baking begin!
P1030615  My pie!  Almost ready to be put into the oven.  Just needs a little milk and sugar on top.
P1030626  The final product.  Not as neat and tidy as it was before, but still beautiful! 
P1030632  Me with my first pie!  Not a bad job I'd say!  ;)
P1030634P1030636








Roxanne with the pies.












Roxanne made a heart with her pie.




P1030637  Leah and Rachel preparing food.
P1030642  The salad.
P1030659  Enchiladas!  Vegetarian on the left, meat on the right!  
P1030667  L-R: Chelsea, Rachel, Leah, and Roxanne.
P1030665  The main meal!  Enchiladas covered in sour cream, guacamole, salsa, salad with strawberries and pea pods, and mashed potatoes.  All this = yum.
P1030672  Dessert at last!  Absolutely delicious. 





3 comments:

  1. Amazing! But I thought you must have made a pie during himeschool home ec. Glad everything turned out so well! So did you really make enchiladas or was it my burrito casserole recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's homeschool, not himeschool, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. We never made pie then. And here, we made real enchiladas. They were quite tasty! I'll have to do burrito casserole some other time.

    ReplyDelete