Thursday, February 17, 2011

I want to travel everywhere.

Haiku-a-day:


Feb 16th
Making plans for the
future to travel the world.
Well, England at least.

Today was the first day out of the entire semester that I had to go to 2 classes in 1 day.  My Sensation Novels of the 1860s class only has 3 lectures for the semester.  The rest of the time it's only going to discussion (called seminar here) once a week.  Class went pretty well. Participation doesn't count towards your grade at all here, but the professor makes sure that we all speak.  

Good news!  I finished reading all 633 pages of The Woman in White!  I had to have it done for English this morning.  But guess what...now I'm onto East Lynne by Ellen Wood (a.k.a. Mrs. Henry Wood).  This book is 624 pages long.  Yep.  Every novel we read for this class is extremely long!  There are short stories as well.  For next Wednesday I have to have "Whisper in the Dark," a short story (29 pages in PDF form) by Louisa May Alcott, read (I already completed that this afternoon).  I enjoy the short stories though.  The first one we read was William Harrison Ainsworth's "The Spectre Bride" which was only 6 pages in PDF form.  They are short gothic fictions that really grab my attention quickly.  Seeing as I am a Creative Writing major and want to write short stories, I feel that these have actually helped my knowledge of short stories and given me ideas for ways of describing things in a subtle and very useful manner.  So far I am liking East Lynne better than TWiW.  We'll see how I feel about it in the future!

I was somewhat productive today, too, in buying tickets to travel around.  I bought tickets to go to York for the second time for this Friday.  Why, you may ask, would I want to go back instead of exploring another place?  Try this:  BECAUSE THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS IS GOING TO BE THERE AND I WILL GET TO RIDE IT!!!!!  For only £2 too!  Quite cheap!  Coach tickets for going there only cost £3.60 for both there and back.  Super cheap to have great fun for one day. 

The second thing I did was buy tickets for the very next day to go to Cambridge!!!!  I am super excited for this trip.  I have always wanted to go to Cambridge.  

The third thing I bought was a ticket to go to the Lake District for the weekend after.  Yes, my weekends are full of traveling.  This is the life!  The last two trips are only £15 and £18, so I figured that's a good deal, why pass it up?!  Also, I might be extending my time in England.  There is an amazing trip being set up by my new friend Victoire to go to Switzerland for the biggest art fair in the world held in the middle of June.  She says she can set up the trip so that traveling via plane, train, eating, admission into the events, and the hostels will cost us less than £100.  In my eyes, that's a pretty good deal, all things considered.  We'll see how things pan out in the future!  Adieu for now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment